- French in Action (Yale) – Free Web Site
- Produced by Yale University, these video lessons use the storyline of an American student and a young Frenchwoman’s adventures in Paris to teach the language.
- BBC Ma France – Web Site
- The BBC offers 24 video lessons that will teach you French.
- Duolingo French – Web Site
- A popular free language-learning and crowdsourced text translation platform. As users progress through lessons, they simultaneously help to translate websites and other documents. Check out Duolingo’s iPhone apps.
- France Bienvenue – Web Site
- A site that focuses on teaching French conversation. The site is written in French, so you will need a little French already under your belt. The site has audios with full transcripts and notes.
- Foreign Service Institute Basic Course – Spotify
- The course is designed to enable you to reach conversational proficiency. You learn how to control the French sound system by listening to the tapes and repeating each phrase. The dialogues present natural spoken French in a variety of contexts, such as, greeting people, registering at a hotel, getting a train ticket, and shopping.
- Foreign Service Institute Basic Course: Phonology – Web Site
- The Introduction to French Phonology course provides additional drills for those who wish to sound like a native speaker of the language. The course may be used beneficially at any stage of learning the language.
- Foreign Service Institute French Fast – Web site
- Designed to familiarize you with situations encountered abroad, and to provide you with the language skills you need to cope effectively with those situations.
- Foreign Service Institute French: Headstart for Belgium – Web site
- Textbook and culture notes (PDF) and sixteen audio lessons (PDF).
- Francolab – Web Site
- French Canadian site provides resources for language learners and teachers. Includes videos, quizzes, interactive modules, audio-visual presentations, and a wide selection of Canadian programs covering a variety of social and cultural topics.
- Learn French in Your Car – Spotify
- Grammar and vocabulary to beginners, offering guidance in pronunciation and language fundamentals.
- News in Slow French – iTunes Free – Web Site
- Program discusses the Weekly News, French grammar, and French expressions in simplified French at a slow pace.
- Speak and Read French – Spotify
- Three albums of a French language course, Speak and Read French, created by Armand Bégué, a professor at Brooklyn College and his wife, Louise Bégué, in 1959. For basic and intermediate levels.
- Talk French – Web Site
- A lively introduction to French presented by the BBC.
- University of Texas: Francais interactive – Web Site
- UT provides a series of interactive vocabulary lessons. Media can be downloaded from the site.
1 thought on “Free French Language Courses”
Hi Sally, I ran across your pages and I really enjoy your German explanations! I’m definitely coming back to your site-for German and my new project-learning French. I use Duolingo which hasn’t been too bad. Prepositions in both languages are so challenging!
I just wanted to thank you for your wonderful work!